To create this image, I used pencil so that I would be able to fully focus on detail. I feel the image started well on the left half, but it starts to lose some energy and depth on the right. The box within the image has been left in open space to make it more abstract, but I had considered to illustrate it on a surface in a dark room to give more context.
In order to make the image more captivating and give depth, I plan to re create the image by using gouache for blocks of colour, and colour pencils for lighting and detail. Some illustrators who's practice inspire me is Daniel Jamie Williams, and Oliver Jeffers.
Daniel Jamie Williams
His work is a mix of using pencils and mixing with digital elements to colour, and the style of the illustrations give the feeling of contemporary folklore images, by making the figure more abstract than realistic and with the cartoonish face on the skull. The compositions may first appear to be fairly quiet within the scenes and colour palettes, but with closer inspection, the more apparent the narrative and symbols become, such as in the above image. It may first appear that the figure is sitting in a garden of flowers and rocks, but noticing the face of the skull transforms the scene to have an ominous twist.
Oliver Jeffers
Jeffers' work has a much different approach as the images are more experimental, and brightly coloured for children's picture books. Although my illustrations are not aimed for children, the colours used in his scenes inspired me to recreate a full coloured image for Gelert to make the image more captivating.
Gelert;
Overall I am happy with the outcome as it is much brighter and allowed for better experimentation with lighting, and also gives a softer appearance. Using gouache to create a full colour scene presents its own challenges as it become risky with making the scene blur together where a higher level of detail is needed.
JeffJeffers, O (2017) Here We Are. Great Britain, HarperCollins Publishers Ltd.
Williams, D.J (2016) Growth For Daylight Curfew. [Online] Available from: http://danieljamiewilliams.com/#/growth-for-daylight-curfew/ [Accessed 9 April 2018]





No comments:
Post a Comment