With these compositions,
the aim was to communicate narrative through the repetition of the same figures
in the same scene. The objective is that by repeating the figure in the same
space, that it gives a sense of time passing slowly. Bendigeidfran’s beheading
was planned himself, and the scene needed to have a sombre feeling to show
respect for the Welsh King. The scene only shows him in 3 points, stepping
across London in the distance, laying in the Thames and placing his head to
Face France. As location is a big factor, especially having his head facing
towards France, I wanted to ensure to the best of my ability, that all elements
were correct. These elements are; that he was walking from the west (Wales),
that the blood flowed down the river in the right direction and that his head
is actually facing France, and this was achieved by using satellite images. In
order to show time, I wanted to depend on a natural element, such as the sun
passing over. The Sun was an effective medium as it shows the events happened within
the day.
In the creation of
Blodeuwedd, it was a pretty simple narrative, but I wanted to capture the
natural beauty and power of the woman, blooming from roots. There is no
indication of how much time has passed, it could be minutes or days, but I wanted
to depict her exploring, with the only indication that time has passed being
her development. Each figure has more flowers and plants covering her body as
she matures. I feel that this method
of communicating narrative has been the most effective in this project, as the
images are the strongest in my opinion.


No comments:
Post a Comment